Monday, April 20, 2009

The Joel Osteen Creed

"This is my Bible. I am what it says I am. I have what it says I have. I do what it says I can do, I am about to receive the incorruptible, indestructible, ever-living seed of God, and I will never be the same. Never, never, never. I will never be the same. In Jesus' name. Amen."

Each week at the beginning of the services, life coach Joel Osteen starts with this creed. Now do a little "hermeneutics" on this creed and observe the main subject. In this creed the main subject is you. Check out the number of times the personal pronoun I occurs. If you have never read the Bible through one time in your life may I suggest you do that before you die. In doing so you will quickly come to learn the Bible is all about God and not about I, me or my. When you becomes the center of theology instead of God then idolatry occurs. So I would caution the use or buy in to the creed that Joel Osteen recites as he begins the "life training" conference.