Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Thinking through your theology

My devotion time this morning was in 1 Samuel Chapters 13-15. I am presently using the "Daily Walk Bible" and am reading in the New Living Translation.
So far in 1 Samuel we have seen how God revealed to Samuel that He ordained that Saul be king of Israel. Here is what the Scriptures says in 1 Samuel 9 verse 27 "...After the servant was gone, Samuel said, "Stay here, for I have received a special message for you from God." Then it Chapter 10 this continues "Then Samuel took a flask of olive oil and poured it over Saul's head. He kissed Saul on the cheek and said, "I am doing this because the LORD has appointed you to be the leader of His people Israel."
When I read that statement I paused to reflect on several other statements in the Bible that have to do with the "sovereignty of God."

Psalm 115:3 - But our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases.

Psa. 33:10 - The LORD nullifies the counsel of the nations; He frustrates the plans of the peoples.
Psa. 33:11 - The counsel of the LORD stands forever,The plans of His heart from generation to generation.

Isaiah 46:9-10 - “Remember the former things long past,For I am God, and there is no other;I am God, and there is no one like Me, Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done,Saying, ‘My purpose will be established, And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’;

There are many other verses that could be brought to bear but just meditate on those we have listed above. If God is really sovereign (and I believe with all my heart that is true) then it means that He can do anything that pleases Himself and nothing can frustrate that purpose.
Now bring that theology along with you as you read 1 Samuel Chapters 13-15. In 1 Samuel Chapter 15 both in verse 10-11 and 35 you have the following statements.
1Sam. 15:10 ¶ Then the word of the LORD came to Samuel, saying,
1Sam. 15:11 “I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following Me and has not carried out My commands.” And Samuel was distressed and cried out to the LORD all night.
1Sam. 15:35 Samuel did not see Saul again until the day of his death; for Samuel grieved over Saul. And the LORD regretted that He had made Saul king over Israel.

Now put on your thinking cap and bring along your theology on the "sovereignty of God." Ask the following question, which is a necessary question and one that has a most remarkable answer.

Allow me to paraphrase what God said about Saul in verses 11 and 35. God says "I am sorry that I ever made Saul king." Hmmm....did you catch that statement? If God knows the beginning from the end and He ordains that which happens due to the fact that He is sovereign, then how can God be sorry about something that He ordained? Does that give you a brain cramp? Is that too much for the cranium to process? I think I can provide some help for you if you will remain somewhat open minded.

There are two lens for lack of a better illustration that I believe God has when looking at the world. The narrow lens sees the grief, sorrow and tragedy of Saul's disobedience. And in that narrow lens God is very sorrow that He has made Saul the king of Israel. But now go to the wide angle lens that God is also able to see the world. Even though He is sorry in the narrow lens this sorrow has a bigger and better purpose in that now King David is going to arrive on the scene. Doesn't that make sense? God has a way of ordaining His own displeasure.

Brothers and sisters doesn't it say in Isaiah 55 that His way and His thoughts are higher than ours? I bow before the sovereignty of God who is able to accomplish all things for His own good and pleasing will. And I will not tell the God of the universe how He can do it because He is God. If we would just take the text and understand what the author meant by what he wrote it will save us much grief and heart ache. According to 1 Samuel Chapter 15 a sovereign God is able to be sorry for what He ordained to happen even before the very foundations of the earth. Hopefully the Spirit will give you an illumination on these precious things so that your response can be to bow down and worship our great God!