Sunday, June 8, 2008

The godly

My morning devotion included Psalm 37 in the New Living Translation. I noticed that the term "godly" appears 13 times in this particular Psalm. So I have listed those things said about "the godly" in Psalm 37. (Pastor B's paraphrase)
- The wicked plot against the godly (verse 12)
- It is better to be godly and have little than be evil and possess much (verse 16)
- The godly are generous givers (verse 21)
- The steps of the godly are directed by the LORD (verse 23)
- The godly are never forsaken by the LORD (verse 25)
- The godly give generous loans to others (verse 26)
- The LORD will never abandon the godly (verse 28)
- The godly will inherit the land and will live forever (verse 29)
- The godly offer good counsel, because they fill their hearts with the word of God (verse 30)
- Those who are evil spy on the godly (verse 32)
- The LORD will never condemn the godly (verse 33)
- The LORD saves the godly, He is their fortress, He rescues them from the wicked and He saves them (verses39-40)

In studying the above you get a description of:
- God's role
- the godly person's role
- the evil person's role

This is how I have a morning devotion. First I prepare my heart by confessing known sin and asking passionately for the Lord to make His word come alive in my heart and mind. Second I read the section of Scripture with a prayerful heart. Third I go back through and make a few notes that usually include what God is saying to me and what I am saying back to God. Even though I may not write all of this down, this is the kind of meditation I do as I have a quiet time during the morning. Hope this encourages you to spend time in God's word!