Wednesday, June 4, 2008

New sod and REGENERATION

I took a picture of our yard and specifically the place where the grass is dead. As I was thinking about replacing this area of the yard with sod I was reminded of the doctrine of "regeneration". The grass is dead which means it has no life on its own. I could go down there all day and give a motivational speech and tell the grass something like this "grow, grow, grow, you can do it." But no matter if I preached, danced, sang or shouted the grass can't do anything because it is dead. This is just like you and me, in our unregenerated state, before the Holy Spirit acted on our hearts in order that we would REPENT and BELIEVE in the Lord Jesus. It amazes me the number of Christians that don't understand the word dead in Ephesians 2:1-"And you were dead in your trespasses and sins". This means no matter who, how, where or what was presented to you in terms of the gospel of Jesus Christ you were unable to hear, see or understand. But now look at the promise in Ezekiel 36:26-27 and what God says that He does to those whom He chooses for Himself.
Ezek. 36:26 “Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
Ezek. 36:27 “I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

When a person is dead they have a heart of stone. Do you see the illustration and the point? They are hard and cold toward the Lord and His ways. But when God Himself places within them a heart of flesh that beats for Jesus, they go from death to life. Now back to the illustration of my yard today. The sod that is going down is like the heart of flesh. And it is replacing the dead grass which is like a heart of stone.

But as that sod is placed on the ground life will be in the grass where before there was death. Again there are so many reminders every day regarding the wonderful doctrines of God I thank Him for this one today for my life. Finally look the concluding thoughts from Eph. 2:4-5"
But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved).


Why does God choose to regenerate some? Because of His great mercy.
How does God do this? Grace, grace, amazing grace!