Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A heart prepared

Many times people say they go to the Bible to prepare their hearts but really what should happen is their hearts should be prepared before they go to the Bible.
I heard a pastor give this acronym that he uses before quiet time in God's word.
It is called I O U S and stands for:

I – Incline your heart (Psalm 119:36)
Incline my heart to Your testimonies
And not to dishonest gain.

O – Open my eyes (Psalm 119:18)
Open my eyes, that I may behold
Wonderful things from Your law.

U – Unite my heart (Psalm 86:11)
Teach me Your way, O LORD;
I will walk in Your truth;
Unite my heart to fear Your name

S – Satisfy my heart (Psalm 90:14)
O satisfy us in the morning with Your lovingkindness,
That we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.

We live in a culture of constant distractions and noise. Our senses are being bombarded daily from TV, radio, email, internet, and cell phones. Our to do list become longer and longer and our worship of God becomes less and less. Alan Redpath was once quoted as saying "Beware of the barrenness of a busy life."

Today even more than ever we need to take time to prepare, be still and listen to the God of this universe through His word. May I encourage you to pray through the the verses shown above as you start to read or study the Bible today. And as you do may the Lord of your heart and life reveal Himself in such a way that you will be transformed into His likeness.