Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Praise God for 2008

I woke up this morning, fixed some coffee, grabbed my Bible and had a wonderful devotion in Genesis 1 and 2. In just those few things there is so much to praise God for already in 2008. God by His marvelous grace kept my heart beating, my lungs breathing and all my bodily functions regulated while I enjoyed sleep. I live in a home that is heated, has electrical power and many conveniences that most of the world would consider something like Disney World. The garbage truck came to my house this morning and picked up the trash. There is food in the refrigerator and we have warm clothes to put on our backs. It is so easy for me to take all this for granted and even at times act as if I deserve it. How that kind of attituded must grieve God, because the Scriptures say in Deut. 8:18 “But you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth, that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.


So I want to take time in this first blog of the 2008 year to praise God from whom all blessings flow. I praise God for a heart that beats, lungs that breathe, hands that grab, legs that walk, eyes that see, a mouth that talks and ears that can listen. I praise God for a wife who is godly and the best help mate I could ever have, for Butner and Anna who are healthy and with whom we have very interactive and loving relationships. I praise God for extended family who know me and love me in spite all of the baggage that I bring. I praise God for continuing to teach me who He is, what He is doing and why He is doing it. I praise God for the local church, relationships that we are building and the new ones that we don't even know about right now.

Folks we need to praise God, thank God, exalt God and delight in God as we head into this 2008 year. As I have been learning over the past several years in the study of the doctrine of God - God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him!