Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Reasons people don't study the Bible

Next week I have the huge privilege of teaching a 10 week class at Carmel Baptist Church on "How to Study the Bible." In this day and age of "how to" there are more than enough adequate books on this subject. But nevertheless I am excited about taking a three-fold approach to this much discussed topic in the church with the questions:
1. Why should you study the Bible?
2. Who can study the Bible?
3. How are we to study the Bible?

I once heard that if a person doesn't know the "why" of something then they will not long endure the "how". I believe that to be a true statement. Therefore I am going to devote some blog writing in the next several weeks to our study of Scripture and why people don't.

So here we go with some of the most common objections in random order as to why people don't study the Bible:
1. The Bible was written so long ago that it doesn't seem relevant to me.
2. The Bible is so hard to understand.
3. I usually end up just feeling guilty when I read the Bible.
4. I am the type of person who relies on the pastor, elder or Sunday School teacher to explain the Bible to me.
5. I have some real doubts about the reliability of the Bible because it's full of contradictions, at least that's what I heard.
6. The Bible seems boring to me.
7. I have a time consuming job, family and lifestyle and honestly just don't have time for the Bible.
8. I have other things that if I am going to read I prefer instead of the Bible.
9. In order to read and understand the Bible you must go to seminary.

Are the things listed above reasons or excuses? Vance Havner used to say that an excuse is the skin of a lie stuffed with a reason!
Folks where you are going to spend eternity whether it be in heaven or hell is a most relevant subject. And the Bible makes very clear the answer to that extremely relevant and important question.

Well if you find that you are one of those in the church not reading, devoting or studying the Bible then just add your reason to the ones that I have already listed. Kay Fletcher once told a story about his neighbor that came over to borrow his ax. When he asked if he could borrow his ax Kay Fletcher said no because there was soup on in the kitchen. The neighbor then became very puzzled and said what does soup on in the kitchen have to do with me borrowing your ax. To that Kay Fletcher replied "nothing I guess, but if I don't want to let you borrow my ax then one reason is as good as the next". Hey fellow brother and sister in Christ, if you don't read and study your Bible then one reason is as good as the next.

Or maybe just maybe you will start praying today, this week, this month for a heart that is desperate for the word of God. Watch and see what the Lord can do with a heart that is totally devoted to Him!