Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sacrificing the good for the best

As a follow up to my previous post I just had a phone call and conversation that that makes the basic point. Everyone it seems is excited about something especially when it comes to health, wealth or prosperity. Over the years Nancy and I have been approached with many multi-level opportunities, many which were very legitimate and good. Recently a couple contacted us about a product and all the supporting documentation from respected medical people all over the world. They both are Christians and as I have noticed they are totally engulfed in this product, its benefits and their new found knowledge in this particular arena. I tell this story in no way to discount them or the excitement which is legitimate along with the information and the product. However I could not help but think when talking with them, they have not shared the gospel of Christ, His church and what He is doing in their life with me in those kinds of exciting and magnificent terms.

The very same thing happened to me years ago watching the Piper Glen Seniors Tournament. All the great senior golfers like Arnold Palmer and Ray Floyd played a tournament in Charlotte each year. One year I was at the back of hole #2 describing a shot that Ray Floyd had hit from the fairway the previous year. There were a number of people listening very intently to my story. When I was done and we moved to the next hole the Lord made a impression on my heart. It was if He said "Bert, why can't you tell about me to others in this same exciting, wonderful and thought provoking way?"

That is the point of this blog article. We spend, invest, read, educate and learn lots of good stuff to tell people about. I mean there are great technologies in medicine, nutrition in the vitamin market and what to give your children if they have Attention Deficit Disorder. But are we so involved, absorbed and committed to the good at the exclusion of the best, which is the Lord Jesus?
When is the last time we had someone come over to pray specifically about their needs?
How about the last time we had supper with a couple and studied some Scripture together?
Yes we are watching American Idol, Desperate Housewives, Fox News,getting the latest and greatest web browser, computer and graphics program but are we understanding, embracing and living out Christ in us the hope of glory.

Like my conversation this morning it was all good but was it best. I can talk about vitamins, health, financial freedom and education for my children and never mention Christ and the cross. When does the good so swallow us up that we neglect and forget the best? Maybe this is something for prayer in this 2008 year.