Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sharing resources for the kingdom of God

Can you imagine a person or a ministry freely sharing all their resources and material for no other reason than to promote the kingdom of God? Well if you know about Dr. John Piper and Desiring God ministries then you know this is their total ministry philosophy.

The other day I was talking to a person who has some limited ministry resources they have written and developed over the years. As I was talking to them it became more apparent to me that the resource was more about themselves than advancing the kingdom. Of course it is always couched with language like "I want to protect this so it will not be abused..." But bottom line it is an attitude of stinginess and not one of generosity.
If you or I have a resource that can help people get back to God's word, worship in a more God-centered way or serve for His glory then why would we not be willing to share?
How about that verse in 1 Corinthians 4:7 - "For who regards you as superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?" An application we could make from this verse would be all that we have received is a gift, since it was given freely then we should not hoard for ourselves.

I hope as the years progress my attitude and actions will be more like Dr. Piper than the person I was in conversation with this past year.