Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Grace-Joy-Love


Notice in the chart that as grace comes down and joy rises the result is that love overflows. The love that overflows is what results and takes place in the horizontal relationships in our lives. But that is manifested as we are most satisfied in our vertical relationship with God Himself. And it is for this very reason that we are calling this class "learning and living the God-centered life." Because without knowing Him, NOT just knowing about Him the manifestation of love horizontally will show up as DUTY but not DELIGHT.

My devotion time is still in the book of Ezekiel. This morning with this model in mind I became thrilled in my reading of Ezekiel 36. As you know Ezekiel is prophesying to the southern kingdom (Judah) during the Babylonian Captivity. God gives this message to Ezekiel about Israel "these people have polluted the land with murder and by worshiping idols, so I poured out my fury on them." The result of disobedience has brought the very judgment of God on Israel. They have lost their land, the temple has been destroyed and they have been scattered. But in Ezekiel 36:22 God also gives this message to Ezekiel. "I am bringing you back but NOT because you deserve it."

STOP-LOOK-LISTEN
What do we call it when God gives us what we don't deserve? Answer- GRACE!!!

But there is more... God says in essence I am doing this for My glory or for the honor of My name. Well that is the grace coming down part of our chart but what about the joy that rises up? In Ezekiel 36:25-27 here is a list of the "I will's" from God:
1. I WILL sprinkle clean water on you
2. I WILL give you a new heart
3. I WILL give you new desires
4. I WILL take out your stony heart of sin
4. I WILL give you a new obedient heart
5. I WILL put My Spirit within you
And in doing so you will obey My laws and do whatever I command!

Have we as a body of believers been faithful to consistently meditate on these wonderful and glorious "I WILL'S" in Ezekiel 36? As you consider this in your own life and what God did for you that by the way you did not deserve does your JOY start to rise. There is far too little JOY in the lives of those within the church because we fail to understand and meditate on grace.

At the end of Chapter 36 God gives this final reminder to the people. "But remember says the Sovereign Lord, I am not doing this because you deserve it. O my people of Israel you should be utterly ashamed of all you have done!" Do we get the point? What is the one thing that Israel deserved and what is the one thing that you and I deserve?
We deserve condemnation, judgment and eternal punishment for how we have treated the name of God in our thoughts, words and actions! Oh dear leadership team please stop, meditate and pray on this fact! We need to have a recognition like Isaiah who said "WOE is me!" But God while we were still sinners, rebelling, hard of heart and wanting nothing to do with Him, instead He showers us with His GRACE! God gives us a new heart, new desires and His Spirit so that now we have the power and desire to do all that He commands! How much grace is that? Folks, that is AMAZING GRACE. Is joy rising yet?

How long should we teach on grace falling and joy rising? A week, a month, a year or how about a lifetime!