Saturday, August 16, 2008

Michael Phelps and the glory of God

OK, this will be my final post regarding Michael Phelps and his incredible achievements at the Olympics. As I have been watching and reflecting on what Michael as been able to accomplish my question is "why am I drawn like a magnet to watch him swim?" And it finally hit me that within the core of my soul I am hard wired to admire greatness. And I admire greatness in such a way that it diminishes me to the point I forget self and then magnify the object of my affection. As I have watched Michael Phelps win race after race I am admiring the best swimmer in the world. And if I compare myself to him, I look like the infant wading around in the baby pool.

Why do we like to see a beautiful sunset on the ocean? Because as we look at the ocean and the sunset we forget ourselves and delight in the object of our affection. We in essence love to be diminished in view of something that is much greater than ourselves.
That is why we go and watch a professional football or basketball game. It is the reason we go to the movies or skiing in the Rockie Mountains. We are programmed to be awed by things that are great.

Now bring all that over into our relationship with God Himself. When we read His word from Genesis to Revelation He reveals the greatness of His name. In each page we can look and meditate on a spiritual sunset at the beach, or mountain top view at peak season during the fall. At those times we are reminded of our smallness and we are actually for a moment or two able to forget totally about self. Yes, as I have watched Michael Phelps swim 4 laps in an Olympic size pool for that brief moment I admire the greatness of his ability and at the same time forgetting about me.

My prayer is that we in the church will return to God's word in such a way that He will be the primary focus of our attention and affections. In doing so we will see Him as He is - great, majestic and glorious and us as we are - weak, small and needy. At that moment I become satisfied in Him as He becomes magnified in me!