Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Are you offended? (just wait till you read this)

It seems today that everyone is offended at everybody regarding just about everything. And we live in such a thin-skin society that these attitudes and beliefs have more than invaded the culture within the local church. For example:

1. Preach on sin and you hear the response (emails, calls and body language) that says "I'm offended."

2. Discipline someone in the church and you hear the response "I'm offended."

3. Someone mentions a significant problem they see in the church and you ask them to be part of the solution to help fix it and you hear "I'm offended."

4. You write emails expressing prophetic warnings to those who will not obey the word of God and you hear in private meeting behind closed doors, when I read that "I was offended."

5. Tell someone to stop "sitting and soaking" and get up and get going by using their gifts in the body of Christ for the glory of God and you hear "I'm offended."

Now just stay on point with me in this discussion for a minute. Let's just say for the sake of argument that the pastor or leadership didn't do anything offensive but the person involved decided to be offended. Doesn't this sound like the ultimate in a victim mentality, consumer mentality or even better yet, "it's all about me" mentality.

Many in today's church need to grow up and take off their diapers and stop sucking on the bottle of a man-centered theology. Oh wait a minute, I'm sorry did that offend you - well guess what I'M OFFENDED!!! :)

Since we are on the subject of being offended here is an article I lifted from another blog site:

Being Offended to New Heights

One town in my beloved state of Pa. has succumbed to pressure over a name. It's an offensive name. One that shakes people to the core. Apparently some must stop up their ears when it is spoken. Others must run when it is shouted. The words are so derogatory they had to be dropped from one mascot. I'm going to reveal the words here for all the world to see. The squeamish need to go somewhere else on the internet like happynews. OK here are the words. Please no comments or emails. I'm already telling you it will be offensive. Prepare yourself, here are the words: Pork Chop. I'm sorry if I've caused you any grief. The folks in Allentown Pa (check out the link) had to remove the name from the mascot. The Mascot represents the Triple A Philadelphia Phillies and the name Pork Chop has offended some folks. The new name: Ferrous.

I'm offended. Ferrous sounds like ferocious and may scare young children. Ferrous sounds like a disease and may get some to think that their pork is tainted. Ferrous also sounds like fairies and thats to effeminate for me. So here's my speech to all in Allentown ""Unless I am convinced about pork chops from Scriptures or by plain and clear reasons and conscience, I cannot and will not stop eating pork chops, pork sausage and pork ribs, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against my appetite. Here I stand at my grill barbecuing. I can do no other." Amen